Fundamentals of Asphalt
Throughout the fourth quarter, TXAPA will host Fundamentals of Asphalt and Paving and Compaction Seminars throughout Texas. Led by industry veteran Larry Welch, this curriculum is perfect for anyone who needs a solid asphalt foundation including City, County, and TxDOT personnel, and Consulting Engineers and Engineering Firms.
This informative, one-day seminar covers the basics:
- Quality asphalt materials and the mix design process
- Asphalt pavement mix types used in Texas
- The importance of proper preparation and hauling of asphalt pavement
- Introduction to the hot mix asphalt plant and production process
- Proper methods for placing and compacting asphalt
- The purpose and importance of testing asphalt pavement
- Inspection principles and responsibilities for quality asphalt pavement
- The values of asphalt pavement and TXAPA’s partnership
Meet Asphalt Educator Larry Welch
Larry Welch has over 30 years' experience in asphalt design, placement, and testing. Larry retired from TxDOT after 27 years, 18 of them spent as a lab supervisor. After leaving TxDOT, Larry began teaching certification classes at the Texas Hot Mix Asphalt Center (HMAC). Larry's humorous engagement style and passion for sharing the world of asphalt with his students has created a big demand for his services. His Paving and Compaction Seminars have been presented throughout the state to over 1,000 participants.