Use the form below to book a one-day seminar in your area. Led by industry veteran Larry Welch, these seminars are perfect for anyone who needs a solid asphalt foundation including City and County Personnel, Consulting Engineers and Engineering Firms, and TxDOT personnel.
Fundamentals of Asphalt
This informative, one-day seminar covers the basics:
- Quality asphalt materials and the mix design process
- Asphalt pavement mix types used in Texas
- The importance of proper preparation and hauling of asphalt pavement
- Introduction to the hot mix asphalt plant and production process
- Proper methods for placing and compacting asphalt
- The purpose and importance of testing asphalt pavement
- Inspection principles and responsibilities for quality asphalt pavement
- The values of asphalt pavement and TXAPA’s partnership
Paving and Compaction
Projected sites for TXAPA’s 2018 Paving and Compaction seminars include Houston, San Antonio, McAllen, and Dallas. This seminar is ideal for Public Works Directors, City Streets Departments, Engineering Firms, County Commissioners, Precincts, and TxDOT. Our one-day Paving and Compaction seminar covers:
- Safety: what is a safe working environment and how do you create one?
- Planning for success: the Pre-paving meeting and other communication strategies
- Milling and prep: surface preparation for successful overlays
- Paving material handling: handle materials safely and efficiently from the stockpile to project
- Paver principles: best practices and proper methods for quality paving
- Compaction: best practices and proper methods for compaction
Meet Asphalt Educator Larry Welch
Larry Welch has over 30 years' experience in asphalt design, placement, and testing. Larry retired from TxDOT after 27 years, 18 of them spent as a lab supervisor. After leaving TxDOT, Larry began teaching certification classes at the Texas Hot Mix Asphalt Center (HMAC). Larry's humorous engagement style and passion for sharing the world of asphalt with his students has created a big demand for his services. His Paving and Compaction Seminars have been presented throughout the state to over 1,000 participants.