Driving in School Zones
• Slow down. Obey school zone speed limits and traffic rules.
• Watch for children and pedestrians throughout school zones.
• Never pass a school bus when lights are flashing and the stop sign is extended. Always stop for school buses when children are boarding and exiting the bus.
• Put away all distracting devices.
• Do not block crosswalks.
• Always stop for a school patrol officer or crossing guard holding a stop sign. It is illegal to pass through occupied, guarded crosswalks in school zones.
• Watch for children on bicycles. Children are typically unaware of traffic laws such as yielding. Always give them theright of way.
• Avoid making u-turns and backing up in active school zones.
• If you are not picking up or dropping off students, avoid traveling through school zones during the most active hours of 7-8 AM and 3-4 PM if possible.