Driving in Heavy Rain and Flood Conditions
- Check weather reports, roadway closures, and flood areas before getting on the road.
- Do not drive if you do not have to.
- When driving in storms:
- Always keep your headlights on.
- Do not use cruise control.
- Drive slower to reduce chances of hydroplaning.
- If visibility is zero, find a safe place to pull over with your hazard lights on.
- Avoid edges of the roadways where large puddles can form.
- Do not drive straight through roads covered with water or through large puddles. Puddles could be deeper than you realize.
- NEVER drive through moving or rushing water.
- Six inches of water can lead to a vehicle stall and complete loss of control.
- One foot of water can float a car.