Share the Road: Look Twice for Bicycles
Tips for drivers:
• Always yield to cyclists.
• Keep a safe distance of 3 seconds behind and at least 3 feet of space when passing.
• When parked on a street, scan the road in front and behind your vehicle before opening doors.
• Check mirrors and blind spots before turning. If stopped at a stop sign or red light, make a complete stop to allow cyclists to pass and check for unseen riders.
• Do not drive in bike lanes.
• Watch out for children riding bicycles. Children on bikes are harder to see and are typically less aware of their surroundings. Always give young cyclists the right of way.
Tips for cyclists:
• Make yourself visible with bright clothing and lights, especially at night .
• ALWAYS wear a helmet.
• Obey all traffic laws and signs.
• Use arm signals.
• Yield right of way to cars and other cyclists when entering roadways.
• Follow the posted speed limits. Do not block traffic in travel lanes.
• Go with the flow of traffic.