- Do not slam on your brakes.
- Keep a firm grip on your steering wheel.
- Turn on your hazard lights.
- Allow your vehicle to gradually slow down to 20-30 MPH and cautiously guide your vehicle off the road and out of the way of traffic.
- Remain calm. Check your surroundings before exiting your vehicle.
- If it is not safe to change your tire where you are or if you are unsure how, call for roadside assistance.
In most cases, tire blowouts are preventable. Check your tires before getting on the road with a heavily loaded vehicle. Routinely check tire pressure and tire tread to make sure all your tires are in good condition to drive on any roadway.