Compaction: Roller Tips
Roller tips for compaction.
- Slow and steady – a slower speed will give more compactive effort.
- It is a better practice to add rollers than to speed up rollers to catch the paver.
- Do not do rapid starts and stops.
- Slow turns and direction changes will not mark the mat.
- Never park a roller on a hot mat (deep marks will not roll out).
- Never turn drums while the roller is stopped.
- Stop the roller at 30 – 45° angle and turn toward the center of the mat when necessary.
- Park back on a compacted mat or on the shoulder.
- Never roll off an unconfined edge (a collapsed edge will create a joint failure).