Best Practices for Paver Operators
Follow these paver operator best practices for safety and success on the job site!
- Select a paving speed that balances delivery, capacity, compaction process, and pave with as few stops as possible
- Work with screed operator in establishing and maintaining the head of material within a plus or minus inch tolerance
- Steer the paver holding to a pre-determined reference
- Direct the truck drivers to raise beds and exit when empty
- If stopping is necessary, utilize rapid but smooth starts and stops to help prevent end-of-load roughness
- Be observant. Pay attention to and help maintain a clean work area.
- Monitor the paver for unusual noise or vibrations.
- Work with the dump person to make sure the trucks do not bump the paver or let the hopper run low.
- Work as a team member!